From Portland, we had to drive down to the starting line in Lincoln City where a crowd had assembled to witness the historic event... or maybe they were there for the kite festival.
Everyone took a little time getting there bikes and minds ready for the task ahead of us. But finally we were off...at the crack of 11.
And it only took about 5 minutes until our first bathroom break. We knew from that moment we would traveling at a record breaking pace. From there it was 30 miles to lunch, waiting for us in Newport. We ate in the shade at Yaquina Beach State park where once again, no one could take their eyes off all the spandex. As soon as the food was on the table it was a free for all! It was like feeding a school of fish. Flashes of tights and cycling gloves and the ham sandwiches were gone.
After lunch everyone stopped for a moment to work on their cycling tans and warm up a little. It was cold when you stopped pedaling!
But soon we were back on the road.
The peleton crossed the bridge out of Newport and we were on our way to the last stop of the day by the Devil's Churn.
Then it was onward to camp at Harbor Vista Campground...for all of us but Chris who didn't think that 76 miles was enough for one day. So he just kept going...and going...until he found some nice locals to tell him he overshot the campground and needed to turn around. Andy, Andy, Kara, Brooke and I didn't have enough either. So after a quick spagetti dinner made by chef Kara we went back to Lincoln City to get the other truck. We were very happy to be in camp and those foam pads made the nicest bed I have ever slept on! Not even Evan's snoring could keep us awake.
A successful end to Stage 2!
4 comments:
I have to go back and count how many times I laughed out loud during this post. Hilarious. And only Stage 2. I have a feeling it's just going to get better from here!
Can you believe all of this is behind you!
Great Photo's and layouts!
Trust Chris to be an over achiever!
Maybe you should take a vote and find out which chef should cook for all of you at a Bikers reunion!
Nice post Bri. I hope that you can remember more than I did!
I have to agree with Addi. People were coming into my office to see what I was laughing at. Great blog!
Post a Comment